Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo:
The eastern DemocraticRepublic of Congo,
home to over 50 armed groups, is typically characterised as a place of war and strife. But in the midst of this there is also a great deal of exuberance, life and colour − not least in Mapendo Sumuni's small but vibrant art house, Kivu Nuru, in the town of Goma.
“When I think of art I see beauty, a beauty inside in all of us that wants to see the light of day," says the young Sumuni. "War is just another chapter in our lives. I am not going to let it define who I am.”
Throughout
Sumuni's life, art has had a special place in her heart. Aged 12, she
took to writing, and together with a friend in school produced a small
book about the aspirations of two young adolescents. “When I had enough
of writing, I picked up painting and later bought and modified clothes
to stay tuned with the latest fashion in town,” she recalls.
When
Sumuni left her hometown of Bukavu to work for an international NGO in
Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu, she continued to explore and
play. “I went to the market to buy a few items and started to fool
around with them,” she says. With a little investment, she set up shop
at home and sold her products on her doorstep.
However, the more
she became involved in the art scene in Goma, the more she realised the
city's hidden potential, though the daily struggle of artists trying to
make a living from their passion was equally clear to see. “I thought to
myself, let’s create beauty together," she says. "People need to
express themselves. It’s essential to their own identity. And each
expression is unique and adds to the mosaic of life. To express is to
live."
When asked how ordinary Congolese react to her art house, Sumuni beams with excitement: “I couldn’t believe my eyes. Many Congolese come and buy our products. They like it a lot. They don’t just adore it, they buy it. And they’re surprised that all of it comes from Congo. There’s definitely an appreciation for art.”
Energised by the positive
feedback, Sumuni is constantly on the search for new products and
artists. When she spoke to Think Africa Press, she had two painters
visiting from the capital Kinshasa. Sumuni seized the opportunity and
discussed a partnership with them. They were soon planning to put on an
art exhibition together. “This is going to up-value the culture. I wish
her my best,” said one of them.
In
light of her recent success, Sumuni will hold her first fashion show at
the end of May to present the work of her tailors. As special guests,
she has invited the association of sapeurs, a sub-culture known for its
colourful mimicry of the elegance of colonial dandies, acrobats,
dancers, and musicians. “Each month, I want to feature one particular
artist and promote his or her art," says Sumuni, "they have so much
potential.”
However, while the ideas abound, financial
difficulties provide an ongoing challenge. She charges artists on
average a 10% commission, and for now the art house is not
self-sufficient. Sumuni reveals that she has had to dig deep into her
own pockets to keep it going, but insists that that hasn't dissuaded her
in the slightest.“If I focus on profit alone, I will lose my objective," she says. “You know, it’s tough, but I am not going to give up!”
0 comments:
Post a Comment